Saturday, January 27, 2007

Naan? Really??

Since my bloggy peers are most excited by my naan making skills, I figured I'd post my recipe and instructions. My oven sucks and I can still make good naan, so y'all should be able to make it too.

No-Yeast Naan Bread

4 cups white flour (Maida)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
4 tablespoons oil

Stir the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl and make a well in the middle.

Mix the sugar, milk, eggs 2 tbsp of oil in a bowl.

Pour this into the center of the flour and knead. If you have a mixer, use the dough hook; if not, stir with a wooden spoon and then knead on a floured surface, adding water if necessary to form soft dough.

Add the remaining oil, knead again, then cover with damp cloth and allow the dough to stand for 15 minutes. Knead the dough again and cover and leave for 2-3 hours.

About half an before the naan are required, turn on the oven to maximum heat. If you have a baking stone, put it in the oven to warm up. I don't have a stone, but I use the underside of a large ceramic baking dish and always get perfect results. As long as the surface is unglazed you'll get good bread. An unglazed tile works as well.

Divide the dough into 6-8 balls and allow rest for 3-4 minutes.

Shape each ball of dough with the palms to make an oval shape. Pat it out on a floured surface until each piece is about 1 inch thick.

Bake the naan in small batches -- 2-3 at a time -- until puffed up and golden brown. Time will vary depending on your oven. Mine takes about 10 minutes for the first couple and about 7 minutes thereafter. They should bubble up and develop dark brown/slightly burnt bubbles. Don't pull them before they start to bubble and darken or they'll suck.

Let them cool on a wire rack. Whee -- yummy naan!
doctor T 11:47 p.m.

4 Comments:

mmmmmmmmm....sounds yummy!
Looks good, I will have to try it out!
I am copying down that recipe. I always assumed that I couldn't make naan because I didn't have a special oven!
This made me very hungry. I too thought that naan required some special skill or tool!

Add a comment