Monday, January 01, 2007

Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us.

I was born in 1980. Being born in a year ending in zero has been a blessing for me, as I can always remember how old I am, or what age I will be later in the year, by looking at the calendar. This might sound silly, but as a child I loved it, and for someone who still counts numbers using a system of dots, the simplicity of the zero-ending system is a gift. I feel sorry for people who don't have the lovely simplicity of a zero-ending birth year.

I've never been a great lover of New Year's Eve celebrations. As a child, I was never awake at midnight. As a young teenager, I babysat, expecting the awesome windfall of $100 in cash, but I never got more than $50 (I gave up babysitting on New Year's Eve fairly early on as a result). As an older teenager, I was either at home or drunk in the woods, and as an adult I've yet to establish any sort of New Year's routine. Usually we end up with an impromptu social of some sort, but it's rarely an amazing party. I can't say I'm bothered, honestly; last night we spent the night with friends and some of their friends, and the night was short and passable but certainly not a ring-dinging, memory-making event.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. 2006 left me a bit frazzled, so some downtime to end the year is a good thing. I've made a few plans/resolutions for the year (the most important being to write a bit of my dissertation every day), but all I really want is some serenity. I'm not going to dwell on the bad stuff from the past year. I'm not even going to bother idealizing the good stuff -- whatever happened happened, and it was good, and that's nice. I'm quite happy to coast into a new year in my happy home and keep living.

Best to all!
doctor T 7:14 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment